The earliest known records of godparents date back to the sixth century. In early Christianity, parents would choose sponsors to be part of their child’s baptism.
The relationship between godparents and godchildren was considered to be sacred, with the godparents bearing a large part of the responsibility for the child’s religious upbringing.
Today, godparents continue to share this responsibility with the child’s parents. They also step in when parents can’t fulfill this duty.
Another tradition many godparents have adopted is to give themself a special name or let the parents choose a nickname the child will use for them.
Here, we have the list of nicknames perfect for any proud new godfather.
You’ll also find a nickname generator and tips for choosing the right one below the list.
French for “godfather”
Spanish and Italian for “godfather”
German for “grandpa”
commonly used for godfathers regardless of whether they’re blood relatives
Austrian nickname for a godfather
Italian for “uncle”
Italian for “grandpa”
Mac Daddy G
Brazilian nickname for a godfather
Spanish for “uncle”
German for “godfather”
Godfather Nickname Generator
How to Choose a Great Nickname for a Godfather
Becoming a godfather is a joyous occasion that will affect a man’s life for years to come, so be sure to take your time in choosing the right nickname.
You’ll want to make sure it’s meaningful and fits the godfather’s personality.
Here, you’ll also find helpful ways to choose the right godfather nickname:
- Consider special nicknames for godfathers, uncles, and grandfathers you remember from childhood. Whether or not a child’s godfather is blood-related, they’re an important part of the family, so it’s common to choose nicknames otherwise associated with family members like uncles and grandfathers. Perhaps your own godparents will provide inspiration or the godfather of a friend. You could also ask around for others to share memories of nicknames that might be helpful.
- Take inspiration from your heritage. If the godfather or the child’s family speaks a language other than English, look up traditional nicknames from the country/countries of origin for godfathers or direct translations for words like “godfather,” “uncle,” and “grandfather.”
- Include your godchild in the decision. If the child is old enough to express their opinion, you may want to discuss your top choices with your godchild or let them pick. You’ve got to be happy with it, but it won’t hurt to make sure it’s one they’ll love, as well.
- "111 Nicknames for Grandpa," Very Well Family
- "105+ Grandfather Nicknames From Classic to Clever," Love to Know
- "70 Grandpa Nicknames to Consider for the Grandfather in Your Life," Today
- "What's the commonly used word for 'Godmother/Godfather'?," r/German
- "200+ Cool and Unique Nicknames for Grandpa," Mom Junction
- "50 Unique Grandpa Names for the Big Man," Good Housekeeping